Matchbox 14th Street Prosciutto & Mission Fig Pizza and Spicy Meatball Pizza
- Chef Victor Albisu, former BLT Steak executive chef, announces plans to open Del Campo in the former PS7’s restaurant space in Penn Quarter. The upscale South American Grill will be the first full-service restaurant from Albisu, who will also open Taco Bamba, a takeout taqueria in Falls Church, VA in the coming weeks.
- Nando’s Peri-Peri announced that it plans to open three new restaurants in the Greater Baltimore Area. To kick-off its Baltimore expansion, Nando’s Peri-Peri will open its doors at Waugh Chapel, MD on December 19th, followed by its first downtown Baltimore location scheduled to open in March 2013. These locations will be succeeded by several other restaurant locations in the Baltimore area, including one planned for Towson, Maryland.
- Serbian Ivan Iricanin, who is a partner with renowned chef/restaurateur Richard Sandoval at Masa 14 and El Centro D.F. on 14th Street, NW, announces the anticipated January opening of his new Balkan concept restaurant, Ambar which will be located in the popular Barracks Row neighborhood of Capitol Hill SE (*former Jordan 8 space).
- Taylor Charles Steak & Ice opened on 1320 H Street NE with none other than cheesesteak. You either know how to order your Philly cheesesteak (With onions “Wit”, no onions “Wit Out”…) or you don’t and that’s where Steak & Ice’s speciality cheesesteaks will help you. I attended the soft opening and I will not spew out my opinions until I return. The Cheese Wiz Fries let me know I have a place to call home after a night at The Pug and I am curious to see whether the Sloppy Fries will serve as fair competition. The grunge decor of Steak & Ice takes you on a mind trip to Philly while keeping you in the DC H street corridor. Philly cheesesteaks are a hard road to travel, many have failed, crossing my fingers Steak & Ice will change the current track record in the District.
- Matchbox opened it’s newest location on 14th street NW earlier in the month. The restaurant takes up quite a massive space for this neck of the woods in DC. Three levels of seating in a space that used to be, among other things, a bowling alley, Jazz club and automobile showroom, the new Matchbox stands on quite a bit of history. Offering a cozy, rustic appeal, the new space opens right on que for the winter season. If your are a regular of Matchbox, then your favorites are still on the menu with a few of my new favorites. The Spicy Meatball Pizza and Prosciutto & Black Mission Fig Pizza should be added to your order. Bon Appetit!
Category: Announcements, Food.Fun.Stuff., Washington D.C.
Johnna Rowe is a Harlem NY native with deep roots in Washington, DC and North Carolina. All three places have heavily influenced her life and the foods she loves today. After graduating Howard University School of Law and beginning her life as a young professional in the city she was led to start Johnna Knows Good Food in November 2007 to keep family, friends and colleagues updated on where to go and what to eat while dining in the nation’s capitol. Rowe, who still practices law, leads a team of three writers to cover the ever expanding Washington, DC food scene. Rowe has been featured in print and television, appearing in Washingtonian Magazine and is a regular contributor to various local TV affiliates including WUSA 9 and WJLA’s News Channel 8.