The beginning of summer means the Summer Fancy Food Show. Rows and rows of products, mostly food products, that will soon hit the shelves (or sold online) and the food trade is all there to try it. This year I made my rounds twice and needless to say I had to share with you guys. The Enfusia products stole my heart ironically (ironically because they sell bath products…smh) and I visited their booth twice on two separate days just to get a whiff. Besides my infatuation with Enfusia, here are my top picks that you should stock your cabinet/fridge with this Fall:
1. In my best Oprah voice on one of her Favorite Things episodes: “Everyone should have this!!!” That’s the way I felt when I bumped into the Enfusia booth at the Fancy Food Show. A little secret about me: in addition to not having a stove for two years, I only had a shower at my old place so no bath tub. So for two years, bath bubbles, Epsom salt or any other thing associated with the bath tub went out the window. Enfusia was the perfect way to rebuild my bath collection where all of their products are vegan, gluten free and are not tested on animals. Additionally, all items are formulated without parabens, phthalates, silicon, wax or petroleum ingredients. I would start with “Let’s Get Naked” (no pun intended), a combo of aromas that take me back to my days of loving Sweet Tarts. More product info here.
2. At first glance, Walkers Shortbread Scottie Dogs look like snacks reserved for ages 10 and under. That first bite lets you know they’re for all ages and should probably start at ages 25 and up. The rich butter flavor forged a path toward the large glass of milk I had to pair alongside the shortbread. Since operation beach body is in full effect, I had to move slowly but surely away from the miniature crumbly sweet treats. Though only 130 calories per two pieces, I could see myself finishing the box of 10 in one sitting. They are quite addictive.
3. The thing I love about the Summer Fancy Food Show is I feel like I’m traveling around the world when I’m actually between 7th and 9th Street in Downtown DC. Tortuga Caribbean Rum Cakes and Gourmet Products was one of my stops of this journey. Glad I made it here because I snagged two rum cakes (original and coconut flavor) and shared them with my Caribbean crew. They got the thumbs up for sweetness, moisture and consistency in flavor. When paired with Tortuga 100% Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee (*yeah, I snagged some of this too), the rum cake will actually take you on a mental trip to times spent in Montego Bay.
4. Again in my Oprah voice “Everyone should have this!!!”: Nantucket Butter Company gourmet butters. The butter’s actually exude the flavors labeled on the packages: the Dill Delight is explicitly dill, the Herbal Garlic has plenty o’ herbs and garlic and the Cranberry Suzette Honey speaks for itself. While standing at the table, within seconds I had envisioned five meals where the butter would be fitting. Salmon with the Dill Delight, mashed potatoes with the Herbal Garlic, homemade buttermilk biscuits with the Cranberry Suzette and grilled tilapia with the Lovely Lemon Basil. Oh, the possibilities.
5. Figueroa Brothers Inc. Melinda’s Original Habanero Pepper Sauce. Possibly one of the hottest sauces in the world, just the smell of Melinda’s Naga Jolokia sauce scared me away. I decided to stick to the milder Melinda’s Original Naga Jolokia Ketchup for my fries and the Spice Exchange Hot Plum Grilling & Glazing Sauce for my seared pork chops. Spicy enough to remind me why I should stay in my lane but thick and fruity enough to take me out of my element, the Plum Sauce should sit close beside your grill this summer.